Friday, February 27, 2009

Tweak: Growing Up on Methamphetamines

Nic Sheff

First of all, it's Friday and I'm home!!!! =] YES!


"Nic Sheff was drunk for the first time at age eleven. In the years that followed, he would regularly smoke pot, do cocaine and Ecstacy, and develop addictions to crystal meth and heroin. Even so, he felt like he would always be able to quit and put his life together whenever he needed to. It took a violent relapse.."

Anywho, the book Tweak is a memoir of Nic Sheff, its author. One thing I can guarantee is that it is way better than A Million Little Pieces by James Frey. James Frey's memoir is half false, or supposedly an "exaggeration" of a stretched out truth? In my opinion, if a part is false, even if it is minute, it's still false, which makes it a lie. (It should be fictional, rather than a memoir.) Out of all the books I had read so far about addictions and such, this is, by far, one of the most eye-opening story. It took me out of my reality, and made me feel like I was in his world.

I recommend this book. If you would like to get sunken in into a person's shoe to feel how it is to be like them, this book would be a good choice. It will take you into a roller coaster of emotions; from sky high to rock bottom.

Even though the story is kind of monotonous and predictable, the stories that come with it are powerful and moving. What I mean is that he would get sober, meet somebody, relapse, get sober, meet somebody, relapse. But, there are amazing stories woven in his tedious journey to sobriety.

My favorite part is when he told a story of how there was an orgy of guys in his apartment. Yea, you can kind of tell where that one was going. It was a little bit too detailed, but it caught my attention. It put an emphasis on how bad of an addict he was, that he would go to any measure just to get the substance flowing in his blood.

Nic Sheff's father, David Sheff wrote Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey Through His Son's Addiction. It goes along great with Tweak. It shows another perspective and hardships towards dealing with Nic's addiction.
Bonus: Drug Addicts - Befores and Afters

This is super-dooper nasty. Ewww!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gracias for the input. =P

Follow and Twit me @SNEAkUHbUTT